Originally I was going to call this blog “Spa night essentials” but sadly, there’s a stereotype around the phrase “spa night” and I really didn’t want any males to be discouraged from reading it.
A wellness night not only consists of relaxing and being still, but it is also a night where we make our hearts smile and do some uplifting activities.
So here is what you will need:
1) Healthy meals – every wellness night needs to be equipped with lots of nutritional foods. You will need:
– A Kickass green smoothie
– A delicious green salad. This one includes chicken, tomatoes, kale, spinach, olive oil, and pumpkin seeds.
Some yummy snacks such as mango slices, peaches, granola, or yogurt (if you eat dairy). There are non-diary options but just be careful of the sugar content.
This is a night to get your body feeling in tip top shape…so the greens in particular are vital.
2) Set the mood with a beautifully smelling candle! – Lavender or soft flower scents are great for relaxing…but of course, any nice smelling scent will get you in the mood to relax. The candle below is one of my personal favourites by the company Coal & Canary. It’s called Peach Pies and Cute French Guys! www.coalandcanary.com. If you decide to order any candles from them, use my promo code to get 10% off! “Melissa10”
3) Music!!! – Personally I think anything with a good beat and positive lyrics can really make anyone smile. So block out 10-15 mins and dance around to your favourite happy tune. I’m obsessed with “Wild Things” by Alessia Cara. That’s what I’ll be jamming out to! 😀
4) Read or do a craft – Reading will calm your mind and make you feel accomplished. I would recommend something uplifting like “The Happiness Project” or “The Four Agreements”.
If your not a big reader then try doing a craft. Everyone is very into coloring these days, so maybe pick up a colouring book to work on for 30 mins or so. Art therapy is very popular right now for a reason…because getting creative is really good for the soul. There have also been studies that coloring before bed can relax your mind to help with sleep.
5) Sit in silence for 10 mins – Whether that be on your couch or whether you decide to go for a walk and be one with your thoughts. It’s summer outside so a walk could be lovely, so just enjoy the moment. Enjoy nature and try to quiet your mind. Focus on the present and you will feel more grounded afterwards.
6) Mindful Stretching – This is basically when you do yoga but your also meditating at the same time. Be present and focus on how your body feels in each stretch. Remember to breathe and try having a focus for your thoughts. My main focus is this affirmation: “I am beautifully and wonderfully made”. Cater yours to whatever you need an extra boost in.
7) Do the thing that makes you the most happy – For me that’s singing, acting, dancing or creating outfits haha. Whatever makes your heart happy…do it.
Finally, try turning off your phone. I think the key to a great wellness night, is to detach yourself from social media. So turn off the phone and embrace the present moment.
Let me know how your wellness night goes! I know I’ll be having one this week. I think it’s so important to try to have one at least once a week or once every two weeks. Check in with yourself and see what you need.
I hope you guys have a fabulous week and as always, I’m sending you so much love!!