It’s no secret that I struggle with social anxiety. I have been quite vocal about it over the last few years. Even though I don’t experience it as harshly as I once did, it never seems to go away completely. There are days and sometimes weeks where I find myself feeling that old ‘suffocating’ feeling; and it’s very hard to function and focus when I’m feeling that way.
People overwhelm me sometimes. Some people’s energies are strong, and sometimes if we share a connection, my anxiety and ‘need to please’ can overwhelm me. This is something that I think I will always be working through.
Although I cannot say that I know the exact cure, I can say that when I’m stuck in a rut and feel anxious, applying these ideas can really help. Sometimes it makes the feeling disappear completely and sometimes it helps just for a little while.
On that note, here’s my disclosure. Nothing I am about to tell you works 100 percent of the time and just because something works for me, it doesn’t mean it will work for you. So listen to what your body needs; experiment and see what you can come up with.
Strategies/Techniques that help me when I’m feeling anxious:
- Do something meditative – Fresh air always seems to help clear my mind and calm down my nerves; so going for a walk can be very therapeutic. Sitting still, clearing my mind and practicing the most common form of meditation is also very effective sometimes. I like to do this for 10-15 mins.
- Send intentional love – This is something I learned from a very wise friend. As I said earlier, I often feel the need to help/please people. But sometimes I don’t have the energy, due to feeling overwhelmed. On the days that I feel that way, I send everyone intentional love and fulfillment. This way, I feel I can mentally relax a little and I don’t feel as guilty for not being able to help. It helps me stay in a positive mindset and helps me recover much faster.
- Do something active. Whether its going to the gym, dancing, or playing a sport, sometimes sweating it out, can be very effective. Feeling overwhelmed is just a feeling like every other emotion we feel, and sometimes feelings need to be felt and released. Finding a good outlet, such as doing something active, is a great way to release any strong feelings.
- Quiet time. – Take a night to yourself and DO WHAT YOU LOVE. Write out some new goals to focus on. Do some crafts. Explore. Watch Netflix. Enjoy life.
- Try writing out your thoughts – Sometimes seeing your thoughts on paper can give you perspective on the situation. 90% of the time it helps me see how foggy my mind really is when I’m feeling anxious. When I was feeling down many moons ago, I started a blog where I poured out my heart to the world. It was such a great outlet for me and truly helped me deal with a lot of my social anxiety.
As I said earlier though, listen to your own intuition. Try new things and perhaps you will find something that resonates with you. I hope one of these ideas helps!
Sending you all lots of love,